The Maze Runner

Monday, 25 January 2016

Hello,

I have always loved reading so it makes sense that I started the new year with a new book series; The Maze Runner by James Dashner. I know I'm a bit behind the times but better late than never right? I was interested in reading the series after I found out one of my favourite actors, Thomas Brodie-Sangster, starred in the film adaptations. I went out and bought the three books; The Maze Runner, The Scorch Trials and The Death Cure (as well as The Kill Order) and the two movies. I then proceeded to read one book a day in the morning and then watch the movie in the afternoon. I really enjoyed reading and watching this series and want to share it. 


'Great, we're all bloody inspired'- Newt

The Maze Runner series is set in the future where the world has suffered devastation from Sun Flares and from this comes a fatal disease called the Flare. In this world a boy named Thomas is sent to the Glade, an area in the centre of a giant maze, with no memory of his life before that moment. He befriends (most of) the boys, or Gladers, who have been sent up before him also with no memory and together they try to escape the giant labyrinth. Without spoiling too much the next two books/movies follow the characters journey of what lies beyond the maze as they face WICKED (World In Catastrophe Killzone Experiment Department). 

My favourite character of this series is Newt, second in command of the Gladers and one of Thomas's best friends. He is the voice of reason, the wise one and labeled (literally) the glue of the group. I like him because as a leader he listens to what everyone has to say and in return is respected by the Gladers. Even though he knows his place as second in command when the time comes to take control he does. I also love his sarcastic and direct manner.



Surprisingly one of the things I love about this story is how different the movies are to the books. This of course always happens when books get turned into movies or television series and I used to really hate it. Whenever I loved a book and found that certain lines, events or characters were missing from its film I would get very upset. I was unable to understand why the writers from Harry Potter didn't add anything about S.P.E.W in the Goblet of Fire (amongst many other things) or why the character Madge was taken out of The Hunger Games movies. Now as someone who aspires to be a film director I realise that movies are NOT books, they are an interpretation of a story which means changing things and I can fully appreciate the changes made to the story in these movies. The most important thing is that the feel and theme of the story is still there which is something I believe the Maze Runner movies have accomplished. The original stories ideas about friendship, loyalty, betrayal, sacrifice and fear have been successfully shown on a cinematic platform. 

I would recommend this series to teenagers/young adults and especially fans of The Hunger Games and the Divergent series. I also suggest reading the prequel to the books, The Kill Order, but only after reading the other three books. This is an adventurous series and I can't wait for the final movie.


'WICKED is good'
I hope to share another book I love soon.

Such fun!
Leni xo 












    


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

© Just Eleni All rights reserved . Design by Blog Milk Powered by Blogger